Tuesday, May 18, 2010

The Unexpected Virus Part 2

He led her into the hospital dining room and helped her get seated. Cloe could not control her sobbing and was cross with herself for being so upset in front of a complete stranger. The boy bought two steaming cups of hot cocoa and placed one cup in front of her. “You didn’t have to do that.” She tried to say but the only word that came out was “Thanks.” She was surprised at how little her voice sounded. “No problem. You look like you can use some sugary goodness. They make the best hot cocoa here.” He said in a way that showed he had eaten in this hospital many times. Cloe wondered if one of his parents was a doctor or maybe he was like her and one of his parents was dying. “I look that bad huh?” Cloe said, suddenly conscious of how she must look. She looked, for the first time, at his face and saw that he was amazingly handsome, like that of a movie star or Greek god. “Oh gosh, why does this guy want anything to do with me?” she thought. “No, you don’t look bad at all. I just thought the way you were acting showed you were in distress or worried about something. You wanna tell me about it?” He said.
“Well, I don’t know you at all. In fact I don’t even know your name.” Cloe said finally realizing that she was with a complete (and gorgeous) stranger who seemed to care about her. “Oh! I’m sorry! That was stupid of me. I should introduce myself then. I’m Mitch Gerber. I’ve seen you a lot here. You always leave when I come.” Mitch said. “I’m Cloe Harper.” She said somewhat hesitantly. “My dad is in the hospital bed next to your mom.” Mitch said. “Oh! I’m sorry to hear that.” Cloe said though her voice was still weak. “I see you here a lot but you never seemed to notice me.” He said. “But I suppose you must have a lot on your mind.” “That’s for sure.” Cloe said then blushed. He had noticed her before!
“Do they know what’s wrong with your mother?” Mitch asked innocently. Cloe started to calm down. Mitch had a soothing effect on here. “No” She said then sniffled. “Here I have a tissue.” Mitch said offering her a tissue. “I need them a lot. My dad is dying from an unknown cause as well.” “Really?! I’m so sorry I know how it feels; but at least you have your mom right?” “Actually my mom died two years ago.” “Are you serious?” She said and then immediately regretted it when she saw the pain on his face. “I’m sorry, of course you’re serious. It’s just my dad died two years ago. It just seemed like a really weird coincidence. You know?” “Wow, at least we met. Anyways wanna tell me something about yourself? I confess that I did know somewhat why you were upset earlier and I don’t blame you.” He said smiling slightly. “Well, alright. Where do I start?” She said and laughed half heartedly.
“I don’t know, the beginning?” Mitch said with a twinkle in his beautiful eyes.
“My parents were both biologists. They would travel everywhere and chart life forms. If you look in some of the scientific journals you can see the many new animals, plants, and insects they discovered.” Cloe says slowly.
“Really?! Mine were too! Maybe our parents know each other.” Mitch said with enthusiasm.
“I don’t know, maybe. Anyways, then I came along and they kept on with their work. I always loved going to different places. Dad took us all over the world. While, they were out cataloging I would sit outside and read. Then when they’d get back we’d sit together and eat and they’d tell me everything. If I were lucky they’d take me with them on their hunts for new species.” She said dreamily, her mind had transported her to a happier time. She also wasn’t quite sure if she believed Mitch when he said his parents were biologists.
“Sounds like you had a happy childhood.” Mitch said thoughtfully.
“Yeah, I did. It was so full of love and adventure. Then my Dad caught a weird disease while we were in India and they couldn’t help him. We were going to transport him to another hospital but he died on the way. My Mom is the only family I’ve got and I don’t know what I’d do without her. I don’t want to be an orphan!” Cloe burst into tears again. When she opened them Mitch had his hand on hers.
“Cloe, I am so sorry. I know how you feel. You feel as if you can’t do this alone. You almost feel like getting angry at your parent for getting sick. Tell me more though. What’s wrong with your Mom?”
Cloe tried not to concentrate on the warmth of his soft hand upon hers, instead she told him some more.

No comments:

Post a Comment