Tuesday, May 18, 2010

What would like be like with no parents Part 2

Tick, Tock, Tick, Tock went the clock on the wall. It was as if the house had a heart beat that was being projected through the wall clock.
“I need to get out of here. This house is suffocating me!” thought Rachel Owens.
Her eyes searched for the door. Everything seemed to be turning, her head spinning.
“I have to get out! I have to get out!” The thoughts in her head were screaming.
“Rach, I’m afraid your mother and I are calling it quits. We just don’t feel our marriage is worth saving.” Her father was saying but Rachel didn’t even comprehend what he was mouthing.
“I don’t understand! Get out of my head!” She screamed and ran out the door. “I just need to get out. I need to go for a walk.” She said to no one particular.
“Rachel!” Her father was calling out but Rachel didn’t notice. She just kept going.
Trees passed by her like a blur. She was running now, running at top speed. She ran until her sides hurt; sending a burning sensation as the muscles throbbed.
“What am I doing? I don’t even know where I’m going. Why am I running? So Mom and Dad are getting a divorce. Lots of people do now a days. But aren’t Matt and I enough reason to save a marriage? I don’t know maybe its better this way. All they ever did was yell at each other.” Thoughts were swirling around in her head.
A big red SUV pulled up along side her. Freaked out, she looked over to see the driver. It was her Father. He rolled the window down.
“Rachel, we need to talk. Come on, I’ll take you out to eat.” Her father said calmly.
“Is that your car?” Rachel said as she definitely did not recognize it.
“Yeah, I just bought it today.”
“Celebrating?” She asked sarcastically.
“No, I just needed a new car. Jump in already.” Her dad said, getting a little impatient.
Rachel got in and surveyed the new car.
“Wow, you get a raise or something?” She said when she saw the leather seats and state of the art technology.
“You could say that.” He said.
“Where are we going?”
“Chubby’s”
It was a father-daughter thing they always did when Rachel was upset. It was so easy and comforting to lose yourself in a hamburger and milkshake. Chubby’s had seen her after she had lost her first tooth and when she had had her first crush; among many other experiences.
George Owens looked at his daughter. She was the perfect stereotype of a cheerleader. Blonde, gorgeous, and, usually, so upbeat and happy; she was the family optimist. Something had brought her down though. Lately, she just wasn’t her usual self. She was more moody and didn’t smile as much. George had passed it off as going through puberty but now he wondered if it was something more. What was happening to his perfect family?

No comments:

Post a Comment